Monday, January 10, 2011

This much I know...

 I've been absolutely sick to my stomach all week.  Last Monday, James's very good friend and Blue Knights teammate, Jose Cabellos, was killed in a tragic car accident.  He and his friends were on their way back to Copper Hills High School after reading to some children at a nearby elementary school.  The driver of the truck was going too fast.  Friends asked him to slow down.  While applying the brakes the truck slipped on some ice causing it to flip.  Jose was thrown from the car, killed instantly. My heart breaks for his sweet parents and sister.  I CAN NOT imagine losing James or any one of my children.
For those of you who frequent James' games, you might remember him as one of the left forwards who ran at lightning speed and scored a lot of BK's goals.  He often played opposite James when James played right forward or James would often feed him the ball from center-mid assisting Jose's goals.  Incredible soccer player!  You also might remember him as the player with the incredible smile.  Though quiet and a bit shy he was a silent leader on the team.  Always positive, always smiling.

Most of these boys have played together for years and have developed not just an incredible soccer team but a close brotherhood...traveling out of state at least 4 times a year and practicing 3 to 4 times a week. They have been through incredible highs and discouraging lows together.  Jose was number 6.  The team will be retiring Jose's jersey throughout the Blue Knight organization.  Did you know there are now 22 teams?  All of the younger players look up to the U18 '93 team (year they were born) because James and the boys coach them every summer hosting Blue Knight summer soccer camps.  

A memorial service and viewing was held at Copper Hills last Friday night.  The auditorium packed with family, friends, fellow students and younger players from a lot of the Blue Knight teams.  As everyone stood in line to wish the family their condolences, pictures of Jose were shown on the large screen hanging above the stage.  I realized I had taken 75 percent of the pictures being shown and it broke my heart.  I've taken thousands of pictures of these boys over the years and have grown to love each one of them.  During this service the Blue Knights all wore black shirts, black pants and light blue ties.  They lined the stage and took turns at the microphone telling of qualities Jose possessed that touched them.  At the end of Saturday's funeral, Jose's BK teammates carried his casket all wearing white shirts and light blue ties.  Difficult but rewarding for James.  Like someone at Jose's funeral said..."This is not goodbye, but...I will see you in a while."

With Jose's death I'm reminded of how fragile life is.  How each day of life is a blessing from our Heavenly Father.  This past week, in my melancholy state, I've been thinking a lot about death and about what is MOST important to me.  That is, by far, my FAMILY and my testimony of Jesus Christ.  I've been thinking about what I want my loved ones to remember about me if I am taken earlier than expected.  I don't plan on going anywhere soon, so no worries, but this much I know....

*I know God lives. I know He loves me and is very aware of my hopes, dreams, and needs. 
*I know He hears and answers my prayers, and a lot of times His answer is not on my time schedule :)
*I know His son, Jesus Christ, also lives and died for me making it possible for me to live with Him and my Heavenly Father again.  Search for Him and you will find him.
*I know the Holy Ghost is real and has served as my constant companion many times in my life.
*I know families are forever...I cherish each member of mine and I want nothing more than to live with each member of my family forever.
*I know the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is true and I am so very grateful for the knowledge and perspective it gives me.  I am most happy when I live by its teachings.
*I know the Book of Mormon is the true word of God.  When reading it I feel a special power to overcome anything in life I set my mind to.


4 comments:

Diane said...

Lauri - I can't imagine the feelings and emotions you and James must be going through at this time. But I hope you will see what a blessing it is to so many others that you were able to capture a large portion of the pictures to remember him by.
Grief brings out the negative or positive of a person. These touching words of testimony certainly reveal the beauty it has brought out in you. They bring happiness to my heart. Love you.

Julie Knowlton said...

What a sad thing to learn from, but thank you for sharing your testimony. I am so so grateful to know what I know, and so so grateful for my family too. Love you.

Daily Jot & Tittle said...

So sad, what a cute guy! I got teary thinking of all those cute soccer boys sharing memories and caring the casket. What a day! So grateful for the Plan of Salvation and family!

Katie said...

What a beautiful boy. My heart aches just thinking about it. I will remember his family in my prayers, and James and the rest of his friends as well. :(