Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Vina del Mar

After landing in Santiago we got in our rental car and drove another hour to Vina del Mar...a beautiful city, south of Santiago, that is right on the beach. Jim served a majority of his mission in Vina del Mar and he was very anxious to look around and see how things had changed.

Our first stop was at a PANADERIA which is essentially a bread store that sells freshly baked bread. Chileans don't put preservatives in their bread and so by afternoon it is as hard as a hockey puck. But, OH...MY...GOSH...it is good! So for our breakfast we ate yummy bread with slices of cheese and drank Fanta orange soda from the bottle...Pretty much Jim's breakfast every day for 2 years.

After checking in to our hotel, we spent the rest of the day finding some of Jim's old mission spots, sightseeing and shopping.

This clock made up of flowers is right in the middle of town...a very popular sight in Vina del Mar. The great thing about this picture is that we have one of Jim on his mission standing in the exact same spot. I will try to dig it up and scan it.

Trying more of the local food. I'll be honest...don't particularly love the food in Chile. My boys, however, really liked this "Chile" dog called a COMPLETO. (Ha Ha...get it...Chile dog) It is pretty much a hotdog with 3 tons of guacamole, onions and tomatoes on top...no chili.



While walking around the city, we ran into this public restroom. In order to use the restroom you had to pay the fee of 250 pesos which is about 50 cents. It was a welcome sight because it was so clean. All the other bathrooms I had experienced thus far...well...not so much.

We ended the day swimming in the pool at the hotel. Actually...everyone else ended the day swimming in the pool and I pretty much crashed on a lounge chair while they swam. Caps required.

3 comments:

Des said...

First of all, I NEED one of those Chile Dogs! Mmmm! And second, Annie, lets be honest! You are too cute in that photo! Love the cap.

Dawn said...

Sounds like a blast!

That's funny that you didn't care for the food too much. I served my mission in Venezuela, and the only food I liked was served to us by people from Chile & Peru! (if that's any indication as to how TERRIBLE the food was there, and I still gained a ton of weight - how pathetic is THAT?!)

go boo boo said...

How fun! Love the Chile chili.