It's a strange phenomenon having your first born graduate from high school. Memories of your own high school graduation run through the back of your mind as you remember yourself thinking you knew everything the world had to offer. I see that innocent confidence in James and it makes me smile. This time last year I was a wreck anticipating his senior year and fretting about how rapidly I knew it would race by. It has. I'm finding that graduation is such a bittersweet feeling. Reminiscent of years gone but yet excited for what he has in store. I am really proud of James. He is more than I ever expected him to be. For James...my heart is full and my hopes are high. I love you bud.
An unexpected thing happened at Graduation. Superintendent Doty came to speak at the last minute replacing the scheduled speaker. He was there to recognize Brighton's senior soccer players and surprisingly called them to the stage. As they walked up one by one Superintendent Doty spoke of Lou Gehrig. To be honest, I didn't hear much of his speech. I was too busy wondering what was going on :)
Superintendent Doty spoke of their State game and events that happened afterwards. He explained the "HD" armbands that represented Hugh Dearden, Jerry's father who died of cancer during the season. The BHS teammates dedicated their season to Hugh when his health when started a hasty decline. After BHS lost the Final game, the team bus headed not for home, but for Hugh's grave. Each boy placed his armband on the gravestone. Standing in a circle with Hugh's gravestone in the middle the boys reminisced of the good times and bad that formed their season. The conclusion was made that winning isn't everything. The team decided they had gained Character, Friendship, Respect, Unity etc...things that a trophy doesn't always represent. For this, the seniors were honored with Canyon District's first AWARD OF DISTINCTION FOR EXEMPLARY CHARACTER.
3 comments:
Oh boy. I am crying. Are James and I related? Lucky me.
I am also proud of YOU for the children you and Jim have raised. Truly.
P.S. My standout graduation moment was going commando underneath my gown. I am a failure.
{Feel free to delete this comment if you don't want Nick getting any ideas.}
That is AWESOME!!! I am crying too. Surprised? Probably not.
Post a Comment