Sunday, December 7, 2008

Gingerbread Houses

Tonight was our annual "Candy Houses with Cousins" night. After a yummy spaghetti dinner with Holly's homemade Bolognese Sauce, the wave-like swell of candy hits my kitchen like a tsunami. No need for visions of sugar plums here! Gobstoppers, Skittles, M&Ms, gum balls, gum drops, red hots, Pez, licorice, candy canes, Sweet-Tarts, chocolate-covered pretzels, chocolate Santa's, marshmallow Peeps, and more provide the perfect confectioner's paradise. The anticipation is agonizing.

Once the Mom's say "Have at it!" and the total CHAOS begins! It usually lasts for about 5 minutes as everyone grabs and hoards candy for their own house. The teenage boys like to see who can make the craziest pile of ruble and then go watch football. The younger kids take more time gluing one piece on their house and then popping two in their mouths, repeating the ritual over and over again.







The STALWARTS...Wendy, Holly, Annie and I spend the next 3 hours planning, designing, and creating our masterpieces. Wendy, Holly and I laugh that EVERY year we make the SAME houses, all representing our personalities. Wendy's house is made of rock candy and shredded wheat...very "Deer Valley-ish," Holly's is always a "little crazy," and mine is always red & white and...in THEIR words..."perfect." I personally think that is their nice way of saying I am ANAL. And sadly, I can't argue with that. Annie and I did end up finishing it the next day, however, I went colorful this year!!

At the end of the night we all have stomach aches from inhaling too much junk but dozens of sweet memories dancing in our heads. Good times. Good times.

4 comments:

Amy Eagleston said...

Your house is awesome! I need details...What kind of frosting do you recommend and any tips you are willing to share.

Anonymous said...

Your house is AMAZING! And how cute is your Annie? She looks just like you!

Diane said...

Absolutely darling! Really Lauri it is beautiful!

Daily Jot & Tittle said...

So cute! Looks like you had fun!