Because James has played soccer for 10 years and competition soccer for 6, I thought I would be WELL prepared for the time commitment and demands of football. NOT! Some of the moms in my area would say football season breeds "The Football Widow." It is kind of like watching the Superbowl with your hubbie. You know how you could pretty much dance in front of him wearing some kind of black lacey lingerie thing and he still wouldn't notice what you were doing?! Ah yes...the countless hours of chatting with fellow coaches whether it lasts for 2 hours after practice or all evening on the phone. Watching and re-watching game films to see how your team can improve. Did I mention the boys are only 8 and 9?
FYI...Over the past couple seasons I have learned a few things that WILL happen during the football season reguardless of how hard you try to avoid it...
1. We eat dinner together between 9-9:30pm which adds 10 lbs. to my backside.
2. The first week of school in our house would be "hell week" because football practice is still being held every single night. My player is physically exhausted and emotionally spent. The week is usually followed by a HUGE meltdown!
3. I, too, have a HUGE meltdown because I am now a football widow for the next few months. Don't get me wrong...I love the fact that Jim is so involved in my children's sports, however, I just never see him.
4. If your hubbie is actually coaching the team, he will occasionally mistake the family as part of his football team and start barking out orders. When this happens I kindly remind Jim to "CHILL OUT!" and send him to his office for a "time out."
5. You find yourself acting out in various ways...Kind of like the time Jim and I had a little "misunderstanding" that resulted in giving the parents on the sidelines quite a show. In the middle of a majorly intense game (it was snowing, freezing, kids were crying) I noticed the coach (my husband) yelling at our son. I don't remember what Jim was yelling but I felt he was being a bit hard on Ryan. All of a sudden the "momma bear" inside of me started BURSTING at the seams. Boy! Did I have some words for him?! I marched out on to the field and started to tell Jim that "I did not appreciate the way he was treating my son!" He responded with "Get OFF the field!!" Immediately I screamed back, "NO! YOU get OFF the field!!!" I then noticed the number of people starring at us, referees included. I surrendered to the fact that since he was, in fact, THE COACH, I needed to be the one to "get OFF the field." So that was fun. Thinking back on this little episode makes me chuckle.
6. Testosterone OOZES from every father on the sidelines.
So you see Katie, YOU ARE NOT ALONE! Every football widow out there can relate. Oddly enough, when you see your little munchkin out on the field having the time of his life...it somehow makes it all worth it.
I've come to the conclusion, however, that Futbol is not quite so demanding.
OH! and P.S. Don't EVER sign up to be the team mom!
2 comments:
I truly desire my kids never want to play football. Fat chance of that!
Wow...lots to look forward too!
Post a Comment