Sunday, May 18, 2008

Grateful Sunday


As we were pulling out of the parking lot after church today I reminded Annie and Ryan to put on their seat belts. They both asked, "Why do we need to put on our seat belts if we are just going home?" We only live half a mile away from our church so I understand their question. As I answered their question, little bells started going off in my head.

As most moms do...this past week I have been feeling overwhelmed about the responsibility of raising children. I know I can't control them or the choices they make and sometimes that is scary. I want SO MUCH for them to be happy and know, as I do, to stay close to the Lord and know that He can always be with them.

When I get into a car, I immediately put on my seat belt. I don't even really think about it. I just do it...a great habit to get in to. It is my safety belt that protects me from dangerous situations in the car and helps me accomplish a safe return home.

As I answered Annie and Ryan I thought of the scripture that says "put on the armor of God" (Ephesians 6:11-I had to look it up when I got home) That's when the bells started to go off...As I teach my children and help them build good habits I am helping them build their "armor" or their "safety belts" that will help protect them from dangerous situations and give them a better chance of returning "home" safely. I realize there will be lots of accidents along the way, but at least I am helping them to learn ways of protecting themselves.

Our lesson in Relief Society today was about prayer. As I sat and listened to different comments being made, I thought of the testimony that I have of prayer and the many, many awesome experiences I have had throughout my life. If I can just help my kids build good habits, like daily prayer, my kids will eventually gain a testimony of their own. I just have a hard time being consistent. We will be really good and then not so much...a continuous cycle.

In Relief Society a few weeks ago were talking about trials and our teacher wrote this on quote on the board that I loved and that totally relates to teaching my children..."Sometimes the victory is just getting up and trying again."

2 comments:

Megan B said...

I LOVE your post and that QUOTE! I am going to put that on my refrigerator. Truly isn't repentance and the Savior our GOLDEN TICKET! What would we do without being able to do do-overs EVERY DAY! Thanks you awesome you! I miss you. I need a Famous Lauri day. Soon?

Diane said...

Lauri,
That was a beautiful analogy. You and Jim are SUPER parents.
We are so blessed to have the TENDER MERCIES of the Lord in our lives each day!!! Don't know where I would be without them.
Love you tons!!