Sunday, October 21, 2007

Grateful Sunday

We had STAKE CONFERENCE today and with Jim out of town it is not an easy task to drag 4 kids who are used to staying home for Stake Conference. When our kids were little we would always just stay home on Stake Conference sundays because we didn't get a whole lot out of the meeting after wrestling with them for 2 hours. BUT, if I were to do it again, I would have just taken them and made it just another standard in our home. It is easier to get them in the habbit while they are young rather than teenagers. You live and learn. Anyway, one of my favorite talks was by Neil Anderson. I believe he is in the seventies presidency. He told of an experience he had when his daughter was young. They were shopping somewhere and saw a wooden statue of the Savior. His hand was extended out as though he were teaching someone. His daughter said, "Look dad, Jesus wants us to slow down." Even though her innocent perspective thought Jesus was directing traffic it was just as profound to her dad. In these last days I DO think we need to slow down. As a mother I can certainly relate to that! It isn't always as easy as it sounds. President Anderson quoted the scripture in the D&C "Be still and know that I am God." and gave 2 suggestions that might help. 1. Slow down on Sundays and honor this day. He gave a quote from Elder Packer, "Reverence inspires revelation."
2. Go to the temple more often. Funny thing is that this is one of my new goals. He just added a little fire.
So I ignored the laundry today and the kids and I read some scriptures, watched a movie, played Blockus and a few mean games of Uno Attack. We then topped it off with a yummy chocolate treat. Let's be honest...is there anything better on Sunday nights than warm brownies and milk? As my brilliant nephew Max would say.... "MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! CHOCOLATE!"

4 comments:

Des said...

Brilliant. Now i wished we wouldn't have taken a "snow day" yesterday and would've gone to stake conference!

Carrigan Clan said...

Alex is still little so you've got time. :)

Rachel said...

Very cool! I like that scripture too. Be still and slow down! Great thought! We are taking a fire day today and just chillin' out, but I am trying to do the laundry here and there. Very relaxing:)

go boo boo said...

Love that! Thanks for the awesome lesson.